Friday, August 27, 2010

Week 12

Wow, this week has seemed very, very long! I feel like it's been forever since I updated, but it's actually only been a week. Crazy. I was looking back at my older posts and I find it hard to believe I just finished week 12. It's been three months in Scotland. Part of me doesn't feel like it's been that long, the other part feels very homesick. It's quite the conundrum.

This past week we had an awesome time doing VBS at a Nazarene church in downtown Paisley. 27 kids showed up the first night -- not many compared to mega churches at home, but quite a lot for a church in Paisley. The kids were wonderful, although I think it took them a day or two to warm up to us Americans. Actually some of the Scottish people from the church told us that it's actually just a Scottish disposition. Whereas at all the VBS' I've done back home the kids mostly were really loud and excited, answering all the questions and running around like wild banshees, here most of the kids were quiet and seemed more scared than excited when we made them run around. By tonight, though, I'd like to think we got them on enough sugar that they were tearing around like lovely wild Americans. Made me miss working with kids! The child protection laws in the UK are a lot more strict as well, so we have to be really hands off. We can't ever be alone with a child, even walking them to the bathroom, and we can't go into the bathroom with them, or touch them. I love being able to hug the kids and love on them, so it was hard for me, but I definitely understand where their government is coming from.

I was in charge of games this week, so that was quite fun. Our theme for the week was a High Seas Expedition, so everything centered around the seas, and the Bible stories were about Paul and Peter and some stuff on the church in Acts. The kids all seemed to enjoy it and picked up on the Bible points really quickly. Please be praying that the things we taught them will stick, and we'll have at least planted seeds. Probably the highlight of my week was tonight when we did crafts. I was at a table with three little girls, probably all around seven, and we were making a color bead bracelet...you know, one of those ones where each bead represents something about the gospel message -- yellow for God's love, black for sin, red for Jesus' blood, white for a clean heart, etc. We did a little game to help the kids remember what the beads meant, and I talked with the girls about it. They all seemed really excited and sat there the whole time memorizing what each one meant and in the right order. It was amazing to see how quickly they picked it up! I hope those girls remember and tell their friends. What cool little witnesses they would make!

Anyway, we leave for a little island called Iona in the morning for a week of lecture, solitude, and rest before Turkey! Only four weeks left until we leave...I'm excited! Keep the prayers coming!

One last thing, I want to do a special thank you to the Salisbury family for their lovely letters. :) They're all beautiful and I appreciate hearing from y'all! I was so incredibly excited when I found out I had a letter, then to open it up and find three letters! Seriously God used you guys to bless me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to Blog


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones